About the program
Learning2Drive Safe is a brand new program that is operating in the Gold Coast. Learning2Drive Safe is a Learner Driver Mentoring Program (LDMP) and is focussed on assisting disadvantaged learner drivers to gain practical supervised driving hours with the aim of gaining their provisional license.
We hope to create opportunities for ongoing sustainability in supporting disadvantaged learner drivers to gain the essential skills, experience and benefits from holding a drivers license.
TMC’s Learning2Drive Safe Program is supported by funding from the Queensland Government’s Community Road Safety Grants scheme to deliver NO-COST supervised driving experience to eligible Learner drivers with a volunteer driving mentor on the Gold Coast.
The Learning2Drive Safe Learner Driver Mentor Program has been designed and developed to assist eligible learner drivers to become safer and more experienced drivers and to fulfil the Queensland Graduated Driver License requirements by:
- Assisting Learner drivers obtain supervised driving hours and experience to apply for their Provisional (P) license.
- Providing access to a suitable registered vehicle. Improving road safety understanding and roadcraft skills*.
*Education workshops will be provided to enhance your understanding of road rules and road safety while enrolled in the Learning2Drive Safe program.
This program is offered at NO-COST to participants. To apply for the Learning2Drive Safe program you must:
- Hold a valid Queensland Learner Driver License. Complete an application form and program induction.
- Be willing to attend a mandatory education workshop every month.
- Have limited access to a supervisory driver or a registered vehicle. Be financially limited.
- Eligible participants will also be required to have completed the no-cost Keys2Drive lesson before commencing in the TMC Learning2Drive Safe Program*.
*Keys2drive is an Australian Government-funded program that is not affiliated with the Learning2Drive Safe program and provides learner drivers and their parents/supervisors 1 driving lesson with an accredited professional driving instructor at no cost.
become a mentor
Would you like to support persons with limited access to a supervisory driver to learn to drive?
Can you spare 8 hours or more a week?
Join the Learning2Drive Safe mentor team.
Essential requirements to join the program as a Mentor:
- Have held an open car driver’s license class ‘C’ or ‘CA’ for more than 2 years. Complete the PrepL Supervisor course (no cost).
- Availability of 8 hours or more per week.
- Ability and willingness to work with migrants, refugees and disadvantaged persons.
- Hold or ability to obtain a valid Volunteer class Blue Card (free to obtain).
- Previous driver training/teaching experience.
- Experience with persons from diverse backgrounds and cultures.