- Register for Tax File Number (TFN) before you start work. You can check if you can apply for one by going to this website:
If you meet the conditions for applying for TFN you do so online by clicking on the link above.
- You can find out everything you need to know about your tax obligations by visiting the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/
There are a number of links on this website which can guide you through your tax obligations. You can also telephone ATO on 13 28 61 to discuss your tax enquiry.
You must lodge a tax return every year if you work in Australia. You can do this by following the guidance on the
- If you are a business you need to make sure you meet your tax obligations and registration. For more information visit: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/ (If you are an Uber driver, carrying people, you must declare your income as a business)
- Superannuation- this is your retirement fund. It is compulsory for employers to contribute. For more information about superannuation please click on the link: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/
- Visa work requirements- every visa caries rights and restrictions relating to work. Contact Australian Immigration and Border Protection: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1 , or a MARA (government) registered migration agent: https://www.mara.gov.au/search-the-register-of-migration-agents/
- Job search online:
– Online job search engines (google search for jobs in QLD)
– Various employment or recruitment agencies (google search for jobs in QLD)
– https://jobsearch.gov.au/job (government search engine for jobs)
- Government payments/ assistance for jobseekers: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/subjects/payments-job-seekers
- Fair Work Australia- advice, support and advocacy with work-related issues and laws. https://www.fairwork.gov.au/
- WorkCover assists with workplace injury and illness (including mental illness). https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/rehab-and-claims